Jewelry Care & Composition
ABOUT YOUR LLUME PIECES
We make pieces that you can wear and love for a long time. Everything in our store is made with precious materials like gold, silver, and brass. Like all precious things, some TLC goes a long way!
Your piece's listing on our site explains how we've made it:
- Gold filled: Many necklaces are gold filled. This means they have a thick layer of gold on a silver or brass core.
- Gold plated: These pieces are artisan-made brass or silver (normally) cores with a gold layer.
- Hammered Brass: Our artisan cut and hammered brass pieces are composed of solid brass.
CARE FOR GOLD: We recommend taking off your jewelry before swimming or showering to get the most out of them.
CARE FOR BRASS: Over time, brass can tarnish with exposure to the elements but there are some easy and quick household remedies for restoring it.
Here are two of our favorites:
1. Fresh lemons: Cut a lemon in half and rub the cut side over your brass item. Lemon leaves are also effective but don't rub too hard or you may scratch your jewelry.
2. Baking Soda: Rub baking soda over the surface of your pieces with a soft cloth. You can put on a little pressure if you spread it around. Allow to sit for an hour or so and then rinse with warm water and buff dry.